Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Shoo Shoo #&$% Flu!

Well, here's hoping we can keep the flu at bay! Caroline received her H1N1 mist yesterday at school and Bryce received his H1N1 at the allergist's yesterday. All 3 have gotten the seasonal flu vax so now I just have to wait to hear from Balto County about an H1N1 for Piper. Thankfully, she's the one least exposed to the world, so I'm hoping we can keep her well until I can secure a vaccination for her.

Bryce's H1N1 shot was more than the average drama since having an egg allergy they have to be sure he's not going to have a bad reaction to it which meant a skin test beforehand with the vaccine and then a 10% dose followed by the remaining 90%. Poor kid has been stuck so many times this fall between his 4 year vaccinations, seasonal flu (same procedure) and now the H1N1. Please grow out of your egg allergy, Bryce! I feel terrible for him having to go through all this, but I think it's worth it if I can prevent him from getting really sick.

I met Jason and Bryce at the allergist's yesterday afternoon armed with candy to soothe him. Aside from all the sticking, we have to endure a long wait too with time between each shot. There are inconclusive studies out that say that kids might still need a 2nd dose of the H1N1 to be the most effective but there are others that say 1 might be enough. Initially it was thought even adults would need 2 doses, so we're going to err on the side of just doing one for Bryce because I cannot subject him to another round of this. Hopefully, 1 will be enough to give the desired immune system response - or at least enough to protect him from getting really sick.

No comments: